MOVING & STORAGE GUIDE
Moving can be a stressful time. Here are a few things we have learnt over time which may help you.
SELECTING A STORAGE PROPERTY
- Choose a location nearby where you live – convenience is important.
- Check to make sure your storage facility is a member of the Self Storage Association of Asia. Members of the association abide by a code of ethics and comply with by laws of the association, making facilities accountable and aligned with Best Business Practices.
- Check the access hours.
- Check the security. This will give you piece of mind.
SELECT A UNIT TYPE
Choose a ‘regular unit’ or a ‘climate controlled unit’.
- Depending on where you live and what you store, temperatures can damage your belongings. For example, extreme heat could cause wood furniture to warp.
- Mandarin Self Storage offers environmentally controlled storage, which ensure units stay cool in a hot climate such as Singapore.
Make sure belongings are insured.
- If something’s valuable enough for you to pay to store it, then it is valuable enough for you to insure it.
- Buy at least the minimum amount of insurance offered. You can buy a lot of coverage for a few dollars monthly.
START ORGANISING & PACKING EARLY
You have more things than you think!
- Customers often say, “I never realized how much I had”. When you start unloading those drawers, closets, book shelves, linen cupboards, kitchen cupboards and all those other hiding spaces you’ll find there is a lot more than you think.
- We recommend you start packing early.
WE SELL BOXES & WRAPPING
A place for everything and everything in its place!
- Mandarin Self Storage has a range of boxes at our Box Shop. Most items will fit into one of our boxes.
- Boxes can help to protect your items from damage during moving and from dust which settles on surfaces over time. Covers & wrapping are also useful in protecting your goods.
- We recommend you try and box, cover or wrap most of your items. These are available at our box shops.
Mark my words.
- We all think we will remember what we packed and where. But once things are in storage we tend to no longer think about them.
- We recommend you use your smart phone and whiteboard marker to create a record of what is in each box.
KEEP IT DRY & CLEAN
Wipe the slate clean.
- We have found clean and dry goods last best over time. Dirt, stains and moisture have a habit of spoiling things.
- We recommend you clean and dry your goods before you place them into storage.
GIVE IT A SPRAY
Snug as a bug in a rug.
- We have found furniture like couches, beds, whitegoods and even books can hide bugs which can do damage to your goods over time.
- We recommend you give your items a spray with some bug spray before packing them up or use some moth balls.
PACKING YOUR UNIT
- When it comes to placing items in a self-storage unit, consider how often you’ll need to remove certain possessions. As a rule of thumb, we suggest you place items you’ll use frequently closer to the door for easier access.
- Also, cushion any fragile items and put them toward the top of the self-storage unit. Finally, label your cartons, create a checklist or keep photos so you can more easily find your items when you need them.
- We recommend you take the time to stack your goods in what ever direction they fit. You can even use the inside of wardrobes.
- Do not store illegal items.
- Do not store perishables.
- Don’t store things which can spontaneously combust.
- Don’t store machinery or motorbikes with petrol in the tanks. Please empty the petrol tanks.
- Do not store things which emit smells or odours like incense paper.